Currently, only U.S. grantmakers and funders (collectively “grantmakers”) are able to initiate the ED process through NGOsource. If you receive a request from NGOsource, it is likely because a U.S.-based grantmaker wants to use an ED for a grant to your organization. This page will walk you through the steps to completing the ED process with NGOsource.
Here’s How NGOsource Works with NGOs:
1. You receive notification from a grantmaker/funder and NGOsource
- In many cases, your grantmaker will email you and introduce you to NGOsource.
- NGOsource will then send a separate email explaining the ED process, introducing you to a NGOsource global partner that will provide support through the process, and describing the questionnaire you need to fill out as well as how to access it.
2. You complete the questionnaire and provide supporting documentation
- The online NGO Questionnaire contains legally and technically complex questions that the IRS requires. NGOsource does everything possible to help you complete the questionnaire, and you may contact your NGOsource partner at any time.
- The questionnaire is available in five languages: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Mandarin Chinese.
- This phase of the process may take up to 4 weeks, depending on several factors, including your availability.
3. NGOsource begins the ED review process
- The NGOsource team (including your NGOsource global partner) evaluates the information provided. Typically, our team completes an ED review within 4 business days. It may take longer if we need to request additional information or if the review is complex.
4. Your grantmaker receives notification
- If your organization is certified as equivalent to a U.S. public charity, your grantmaker will be notified.
- If your organization is not able to be certified, NGOsource will notify your grantmaker and provide a detailed explanation. This information is not visible to other NGOsource members; members will only see that the organization does not have a current NGOsource certification.
- In most cases, your grantmaker will contact you to let you know your final ED status.
5. Your organization’s information is held by NGOsource for other ED requests
- NGOsource retains a secure and confidential file on your organization with the information needed to process ED requests from other grantmakers. This helps minimize the burden on your organization caused by future ED requests.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact us.